Thadiyandamol --- 6 Km from Palace EstateThe highest peak in Kodagu is Thadiyandamol, 1745 metres (5724 ft) from the mean sea level and rises in to the summit of the western ghats. It is one of the most picturesque spot in south India with untampered original forest and natural perennial springs all around. Palace Estate is located at the foot of the Thadiyandamol peak and is an ideal base camp for trekking & can be covered bothways in six to eight hours.
Nalnad Palace --- 200 Mtrs from Palace EstateNalnad summer palace was built during 1780-1789 by the then Coorg King Linga Raja after escaping from the captivity of Tippu Sultan in Srirangapatna, is of immense archaeological importance. It is from this place that the Coorg Raja, after mobilising the local army, chased Tippu Sultan's men from Mercara during 1789 and reoccupied Mercara Fort. Also, the last Coorg Raja was captured by the Britishers from Nalnad palace in 1834.
Kapala Tribal Colony --- 250 Mtrs from Palace EstateKapala are a group of local tribesmen living in a colony in their natural habitat very close to Palace Estate. The kings brought them to Guard (kapa) the Palace (pala) and are believed to be original inhabitants of some other location. They have retained their culture & you get an insight into their old traditions & customs & way of living.
Private Waterfall --- 100 Mtrs from Palace EstateA private 50 foot waterfall with clear water gushing down from the mountains is a part of the estate. Small fishes, crabs etc can be seen in the water source & good time can be spent lounging around in this absolutely silent place amidst nature & listening to the pleasant sound of the water falls.
Padi Igguthappa temple --- 7 Km from Palace EstateThe Padi Igguthappa is one of Coorg's most important temple and the presiding deity of the Puthari Festival and it resembles the temples of Kerala in style. This temple governs important role in the traditional and cultural life of Kodagu. Very little information's is available regarding the history of this temple. According to scripts available Apparanda Bopu a Dewan of Halarie rulers renovated this temple between 1834-35.
Chelavara Falls --- 10 Km from Palace EstateThis majestic stream falls is much admired and is visited by most of tourists visiting this part of coorg. The roar of the falls can be heard from a distance and the road to this falls goes through lovely coffee and cardamom plantations. Two kilometers from this place there is a sunset point from where u can enjoy the sunset.
Choma Kundh ( Mountain ) --- 14 Km from Palace EstateBreathtaking view of the mountains & forests without trekking, walk for a Km to the top of the mountain. Do not miss the sunset it something which is worth watching from here.
DubareThis is mainly an elephant capturing and training camp of the Forest Department, at the edge of Dubare forest, on the bank of river Kaveri, on the Kushalnagar - Siddapur road. The largest land animal is captured here with the help of tamed elephants and local tribals - the Kurbas - and is held captive for upto 6 months in large teak wood cages. The tamed elephants attend to various jobs during the day and in the evenings they come down to the river to bathe and to be scrubbed clean by their mahouts. Afterwards the mahout obliges eager tourists for free elephant rides within the camp. In the evenings, all the elephants are offered a special treat of ladoos made of ragi and jaggery, each no smaller than a cannon ball!
Nagarhole Wildlife SanctuaryThe Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary covers an area of 284 sq.km. with tropical and deciduous forests and belts of swampy ground at the head of small streams. The place derives its name from the winding river - Nagarhole meaning "snake river" - which flows through the park. The 640 sq km of gently undulating terrain at the foothills of the Brahmagiri hills is covered with thick tropical forest, grassy swamps and numerous rivers and streams. The park and animal life is part of the country's first "bio-sphere reserve". The Forest Department conducts tours along well-defined routes for tourists, in the early mornings and evenings.
Raja's SeatLush fields and Western Ghats. You can see mountain ranges towering over one another all the way to the horizon.This notable spot at Madikeri is just 1 km from the Bus Stand. Kings of Kodagu spent their evenings to watch the golden moments of the sun set. It also offers a thrilling panoramic view of flowing valleys.
Madikeri FortIn the centre of the Madikeri town. this 19th century fort was once the scene of many fierce battle. Today it houses a small museums, a chapel, the prison and a small museum. The fort also offers a panoramic view of Madikeri. The Fort situated on an elevated ground, has a palace inside. Built of brick and mortar, the fort was erected by the King of Coorg. It was repaired by Tipu Sultan in 1781 and called Jaffarabad. Two life-size elephants built in mortar catch the eye as one enters the fort.
BhagamandalaThis place is a temple town situated 30 kms from Madikeri. Here Cauvery is at its confluence with river Kannike and Sujyothi. The temple is built in the multi-roofed Kerala style, resembling temples of distant Nepal.
TalacauveryThis sacred place is situated at a distance of 7 kms from Bhagamandala. This is the birth place of the river Cauvery and a spot of immense religious significance. Legend has it that Goddess Cauvery makes her appearance once a year during Tulamasa, when thousands gather to take a sacred dip. There are steps leading to Bramhagiri Hills, at a height of 300 ft. from where, Kudremukh, Chamundi Hills, Wynad and Nilgiris are visible.
Golden TempleGautam Buddha at Indias biggest tibetan monastery covered from coorg. This comprises of two universities and two monasteries and is inhabited by Tibetian Monks. This is situated near kushalnagar, 30 Kms from Madikeri and better known as "Byle Kuppe".
Cauvery Nisarga DhamaSituated at a distance of 2 kms from Kushalnagar on the Mysore-Madikeri Road, this picnic spot was established in 1988. This is a man-made island with an area of 65 acres. The entrance to this spot is through a hanging bridge. Machans (tree top shelters) and Pargola (wall less shelters) are found here. Tourists can stay in brick cottages or log cabins. There is a canteen, pedal boating, elephant riding and deer park are added attractions to this place.
Abbi FallsThis beautiful waterfall is situated at a distance of 5 km from Madikeri in a private coffee estate. Abbi in Kodava dialect means "falls". This majestic stream falls is much admired and is frequently visited. The roar of the falls can be heard from the main road, from where a path goes through lovely coffee and cardamom plantations right up to them. The chirping of innumerable birds which are easier heard then seen, fill the air with sweet music. Do remember to take your binoculars and camera when you go there.
Irupu FallsThis refreshing cascade of water is situated at a distance of 48 kms from Virajpet on the way to Nagarhole. It is also a place of pilgrimage. The Shiva temple here is said to have been dedicated by Lord Rama himself on the banks of River Lakshmanatheertha a tributary to the river Cauvery. The river descends perpendicularly into a great cataract known as the Iruppu Falls. This place is believed to possess the power to cleanse one's sins and is visited by thousands of devotees from far and near on Shivaratri day. There is temple dedicated to Sri Ram, surrounded by paddy fields, from where it is a climb up to the falls through natural forest.
Omkareshwara TempleBuilt by Kodagu King Lingaraja in 1820, this temple is remarkable for its square shape in the Mohammedan style, with an impressive dome in the centre and four minarets - like tumets at the corners, surrounded by Basavas or sacred Bulls. On the top of the dome is a guilded ball, with a weather clock. All window frames are tastefully sculpted blocks with solid brass bars. A large tank in front of the temple gives it a serene atmosphere.